If you’ve been following this series of posts, Marshall Goldsmith and I have been discussing the key components of Stakeholder Centered Coaching. A little over a year ago, I had the good fortune of co-authoring a book with Marshall called Stakeholder Centered Coaching: Maximizing Your Impact as a Coach. In that book we laid out his Stakeholder Centered Coaching methodology and how Coachmetrix can help bring that methodology online.
In today’s interview, Marshall and I discuss the third component of stakeholder centered coaching – feedforward.
As Marshall says, you can’t do anything about the past, but you sure can change the future.
Check out this short video below where Marshall shares how feedforward is both useful and fun! When you’re done watching the video, take a look at my quick tips below to implement feedforward in your coaching practice to help your coachees change both behaviors and perceptions.
Quick Tips to Use Feedforward in Your Coaching Engagements
Feedforward in conjunction with Coachmetrix
- Encourage your coachees to engage their supporters from the very beginning – going public with their action plan.
- Your coachees can ask their supporters for feedback and feedforward at any point in time to keep their supporters engaged. We recommend every 30 – 45 days.
- The pulse feedback comments in Coachmetrix are framed as feedforward by asking supporters to respond to the following: Suggestions/ideas to improve in this area for the next 30 days (feedforward).
Feedforward during your coaching conversations
- Providing feedforward can be a great tool for you to share observations and recommendations to your coachee in a non-threatening way.
- You can also ask your coachee for feedforward at the end of every coaching session for ideas and suggestions on how to improve future coaching conversations.
- Respond by saying “thank you.”
Stay tuned for our next post where Marshall and I discuss the key criteria for selecting your clients.
In the mean time, if you’d like to learn more about how Coachmetrix can support your Stakeholder Centered Coaching process, sign-up for a live demo.