Nyah successfully changed during her executive coaching engagement. But she changed in all the wrong areas.
That’s what happens when an executive coaching client creates her leadership development goals… but they aren’t aligned with what the business needs and with what her manager thinks.
If you’ve been following this series of posts, you know that we’ve been focused on Stakeholder Centered Coaching, a proven coaching methodology and philosophy created by Marshall Goldsmith. It demonstrates behavioral change and dramatically increases the likelihood of a successful coaching engagement.
It’s a process that you can use with your clients for creating any kind of transformational change. Even better, when coupled with an online coaching platform like Coachmetrix, you’ll be able to implement a coaching methodology and technology that completely complement each other. This allows you to both measure behavioral change and prove that your leadership and executive coaching engagements are having an impact.
In this article, we’ll explore how to calibrate your coachee’s goals to ensure the Coachee is focused in the right area.
Quick Recap: The Stakeholder Centered Coaching Process
By this step in the Stakeholder Centered Coaching process, your coachee has:
- Received 360 feedback or other data to help highlight their leadership development strengths and opportunities
- Created goals and identified behaviors to focus on
The next step in the process is to ensure those goals and behaviors are aligned with the manager and the business. Again, we don’t want to get to the end of the coaching engagement and realize that the Coachee focused on the wrong goals. That’s not good for them, and it reflects poorly on the Coach.
The Manager Calibration Meeting
The Manager Calibration Coaching Session is a joint session between the Coach, Coachee and their Manager. The purpose is to ensure there is crystalline clarity between the Coach, Coachee and Manager that the Coachee is working on the right leadership development goals.
Prior to the Calibration session, the Coachee will send their action plan to their Manager. This is easily done in Coachmetrix using the “Share Action Plan” button where the goals created in Coachmetrix are exported and emailed to the Manager or anyone else involved in the Coachee’s development.
Sample Manager Calibration Agenda
The manager calibration session takes about 45 minutes. The coach facilitates the conversation through the following agenda:
- Coach establishes the meeting purpose and opens the session.
- Coachee shares high level themes from their 360 results (or whatever source of external data about their leadership impact, like a personality style profile or confidential interviews).
- Coachee shares each specific goal in their action plan, walking their Manager through the goal statement, behavior statement and any action items.
- Manager provides input on the Coachee’s goals to ensure they are calibrated with where the Manager sees the Coachee’s development and the needs of the business.
- The Coachee and Manager discuss support the Coachee needs from the Manager to move the goals forward.
- The Coachee and Manager align on the stakeholders (in Coachmetrix we call them Supporters) who will provide ongoing feedback and feedforward.
- The Coach, Coachee and Manager define next steps from the session.
Next Steps: After the Manager Calibration Meeting
After the Manager Calibration meeting is conducted, take a few minutes to debrief with the Coachee and then discuss next steps. They usually include:
- Making final updates/tweaks to the Coachee’s goals.
- Verbally enrolling stakeholders.
- Adding stakeholders into your measurement platform to begin the mini survey process (we call it pulse feedback in Coachmetrix because we orient around an ongoing measurement process instead of pre and post).
Optimize the Stakeholder Centered Coaching Process
Stay tuned for our next post! We’ll explore how to enroll your stakeholders and conduct a stakeholder meeting.
In the meantime, check out Coachmetrix & discover how it can benefit you. It is a cloud-based tool that helps optimize the entire Stakeholder Centered Coaching process:
- Online action planning
- Sharing action plans with Stakeholders
- Measuring behavioral change
- Optimizing communication between your coaching sessions
- Tracking your coaching sessions
Coachmetrix has everything you need to help set your business apart and implement a Stakeholder Centered Coaching process in the modern day environment.
Start your free trial today to see how we can help you stand out from the crowd: https://coachmetrix.com/stakeholder-centered-coaching/